22 Jan 2010

It’s Phoolmani

It’s Phoolmani,
Mahashtrian female, nothing but a maid for couple of celebrities in Mumbai; now when she came to me for work I dint know how can I hire her to work for me? It’s a new city, just recently rented a flat, new people around, already learnt good lessons from people here in Mumbai, and therefore I was literally confused, moreover my work schedule is such, that It doesn’t permit me to live a normal life, and cant work all by myself! I then spoke to her couple of times and realized that she was quit cheerful and happy, every time I meet her I see her smile like as if it was never ending. But there is question running in my mind all time, is she really happy? How to ask her if she was really happy? Will she mind if I ask her? Ok, anyways, let me hire. And stopped thinking for that moment, this meant like taking a risk for me though.
She started working at home, she came in time, she was better than other few females who worked for me for a day or two. Humm, I was relaxed, she spoke well and used to wake me up, she troubles me with the horrible doorbell I had so that I wake up. Time passed by- 2 weeks. She hummed the songs that I used to sing with me, she always asked what my plan is for the day, and what I want to eat etc… I felt more like a companion having her around. So pleasant!
Suddenly, one day, she is quiet, so quiet that bothered me. Just rang a single bell, got me my bed tea, started her work and dint speak anything at all, I also kept myself occupied with my emails and chats for a while, just before I wrap up, I realized that I was missing her, the way she used to ask silly questions, Didi seemed to be like her favorite word. Slowly walked upto her and screamed in her ears, she was still quiet. Just asked me if I wanted anything else, I nodded “No”. Left from there and freshened up myself. An hour past, she was over the phone speaking in marathi, I knew a bit of her language so I could get what she was talking, she hide her tears so well that I couldn’t figure it out. Now what?
I asked her get back home and come back in the evening.
She came back smiling and as usual talking to me. Kept asking me questions and comforting me pretty well. I thought that was the right time to speak to her. I asked her, “what happened to you in the morning?”
Phoolmani: Nothing, I had a small trouble at home; I was just lost in thoughts. I was thinking about the solution.
- So did it solve?
Phoolmani: No, its an ongoing problem, dint know how to solve!
- humm, I believe that every problem has a solution, may be its difficult to solve but for sure it is solvable. Do you wanna share?
Phoolmani: Well, it’s a family problem. My kids are not studying well these days, I do everything for them to be well educated, that is the reason I work in so many houses. But my husband troubles them during their study hours. He fights with me every evening and my kids are affected. He is so drunk and uncontrollable when he’s drunk. I really don’t know what to do?
I was thinking and imaging her situation, it wasn’t too difficult because I was able to connect to her pretty well. Before I could take a proper pause, she says
- You would not understand didi, you are not married right?
That cleared me of why she was so quiet, she thought I would not understand the trouble and was actually discussing it with someone else.
I doubted if she found a solution! I was thinking of her really hard. I then suggested her couple of methods. But before even suggesting I thought of her, who is already a mother of 3 kids depending on her. I knew that our society had not yet made women the power of home, its still a man who rules the house in these little sub-urban areas. She earns, has put her kids in good English schools, and encourages her kids in their curriculum and other activities. When she her kids doing well she has an irresistible smile on her face; which actually energizes everyone around her. I was happy to see her back to normal by evening but this Q is still in my mind asking to myself, will Phoolmani get a peaceful life and get that real smile on her face ever? Does her drunkard husband ever realize how she been managing house all by herself? Does he realize how he’s been living all this life without working but just drinking alcohol like a pig? Will there be a time for him to sit and think about her and his children in future? Well, many more question rise in my mind but i really want to see someone who has found a solution for this.
All i could do is help her with some money and cloths for her kids. I gave her an option to shelter my home anytime she’s beaten badly by her husband. I know its not the right thing but i thought a temporary help to make him realize, anyways, if you get a solution for such Phoolmani’s do let me know, I know a few whom I need to help. I may not be a resourceful person, but i want to be the source of solution to whatever extent is possible.
Thanks, Feed backs- most welcome

2 comments:

  1. i guess there arent any solutions,, some probs have to be lived thru..u have to live with it just as an un treatable disease...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humm thats what i was thinking too, but in that case my beleif "that every problem ahs a solution" becomes false :(

    ReplyDelete